Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Newsweek's List - Top Schools

Well, here it is:

Newsweek's annual list of the top high schools, based on Jay Matthew's Challenge Index of ranking schools simply by dividing the number of AP exams taken and the number of graduating seniors, has been released for 2009. The "formula" has been quite controversial among the education crowd, though it has generated some great discussion of what a "top school" is, and it is based on Jay's firm belief that "the best education for the best is the best education for all."

We'll see.

1 comment:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Um, yeah, right. I attended Horace Greeley High School, and these are kids that go on to top schools. People that I knew I couldn't compete with, so I slumped and got C's and D's. Still got into a decent four-year private university. :]

NOT SO with the Hillsborough County schools in Tampa. NO WAY I would send any teen I loved to their local "Martin Luther King" school, because even the way-out in the suburbs elementary crammed 33 kids into a kindergarten class. Even their suburban schools are terrible... I've heard stories of kids learning about sex at the age of EIGHT. (By contrast, my own 15-y-o son thought "condoms" were ketchup and salt packets until recently, ok?)

I also think the statistics/ criteria must have changed dramatically over the last 15 years or so. I am *not getting* how Hillsborough could come in so close to the top, because if I had the money, I'd way prefer a school like Greeley for my children.