Thursday, May 15, 2014

Don't Go to Law School

"I'm going to law school because I like to argue …"

Blah, blah, blah.

If I had a dollar for every student who ever said he/she was going to law school because they "like to argue" or are "really good at arguing" etc., I would be retired by now. So, as a teacher, and a person who has heard from many attorneys, let me be the one to say, "Don't go to law school."

Effective and successful lawyers are not that way because they "like to argue." Successful lawyers are that way because they are good readers, good writers, good researchers, and very hard working. A person should become a lawyer because he likes to research, not because he likes to argue. For, a good lawyer will research for six weeks to argue for six minutes. In fact, lawyers will most likely never argue. They won't argue because they were so good at research.

But don't take my word for it. Here are/is:

Six Wrong Reasons for Going to Law School  by attorney Tucker Max.

An answer if "You Think You Want to Be a Lawyer" by Jennifer Shaw

The truth about "You Can Do Anything with a Law Degree" by Jim Saksa

No comments: