Monday, April 2, 2018

Writing in the Day

At a recent staff development (well, really more like a group reading/grading) for eleventh-grade English teachers in my district, one of my colleagues offered a short presentation about the idea of "Writing in the Day," as a way to engage students in class and the writing process. She offered a few prompts that she regularly uses and reminded us of valuable resources and opportunities like the National Writing Project. I loved this idea, and today I am trying it for myself as part of a commitment to embrace writing and create more this year. Thus, I've been at my desk with the goal of writing from roughly 7-8 (or 6:30-8) as regularly as possible. As I was pondering that and tinkering around with the blank page, I was reminded of a quote about some successful writer and how she was "at her desk from 9-12 everyday, whether she produced any writing or not." That got me thinking about the necessary daily ritual of writing, and I enjoyed this piece "The Daily Routine of 20 Famous Writers ..." on Medium.com


No comments: