Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Thinking About What Comes Next

Even though I’ve been teaching English for three decades, I still tell people that when I grow up, I want to be David Brooks of the New York Times, or an essayist like Chuck Klosterman or Dave Hickey, or perhaps an author like Geoff Dyer or even Michael Lewis. In reality, I am first and foremost a writer with a talent for sharing information, ideas, and insights via the written word. Now, as I wrap up a cherished career in public education, I am pondering the life of a writer.

I’ve been freelance writing for many years, serving as a Colorado Voices columnist for the Denver Post, and for three years I've written an education-focused column called “Unpacking the Backpack” for The Villager, a small suburban newspaper. As a commentary writer, my beat has been "education, parenting, politics, pop culture, and contemporary American life." A common theme of my writing is issues in public education, such as advocating for reforms on career and technical education. Additionally, I've been an enthusiastic advocate for gifted education, and I've spoken on numerous panels at state and national gifted education conferences. I am an education policy geek who has testified several times before the Colorado Senate Education Committee, and I’ve presented to both district and state boards of education. As a lifelong educator and writer whose mom was an editor and feature writer, the worlds of education and journalism are embedded in my DNA. I am a writer with vast experience in public education, and I am an experienced educator who can write insightful, informative articles about schools.

For several years I have also been writing about music, arts, and culture in the Denver area, specifically arts pieces for 303 Magazine and music writing for Westword. That interest and focus grew out of my writing on the people and culture of schools. My articles have sung the praises of high school mathletes, praised the brilliance of speech and debate competitions, reviewed high school productions such as musicals and jazz concerts, and profiled cultural events like our school’s Ethnic Fest and the district poetry slam. Creative non-fiction, including personal narrative, social commentary, and pop culture criticism, is my jam. My writing and research style has developed over the years as a sort of Robert Fulghum-esque, David Brooks-ian, Malcolm Gladwell-like stew of intellectual pondering with an accessible bit of pop culture philosophizing.

No comments: