Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Taylor Swift Gone Wild

Just out of curiosity - because my kids are such fans - I checked out the price and availability of concert tickets for Taylor Swift's show on September 27 at the Pepsi Center in Denver. I was initially surprised to see tickets were still available. And then I was shocked to see the cheapest - and worst - seat available .... at the back of the venue ... in the nosebleed seats .... on the venue's website .... not from scalpers ... were ... $125 each. Gasp!

That is, in my opinion, completely beyond the pale.

Taylor Swift is a phenomenally talented musician and a seemingly very genuine young woman. I am impressed with her songs and her public demeanor, and I don't question my children listening to her music. "But, Girl, you concert prices are out of control." Taylor is forgetting where she came from. And she is forgetting who her fans are. And she is neglecting to take an active interest in the business side of her career to ensure that regular folks have a reasonable shot at sharing in her live performance of the songs they made popular enough for her to charge whatever she wants.

Professional sports is no different. A lifelong St. Louis Cardinals fan, I was supremely disappointed in the stalemate between Albert Pujols and the team over his next - and final contract. Reports claim he expects to be the highest paid player in the league and that equates to a 10-year, $300 million contract. That is a bit ridiculous - especially because he will be in his forties at the end of the contract. This is as a member of the same team as Stan "The Man" Musial - a player who once signed his contract without looking at it, and when the press asked him if he wanted to review it first, he said, "I'm getting paid to play ball. I'm sure it's fine."

Let's hope the air someday goes out of the entertainment bubble, and prices return to a reasonable rate. But I'm not holding my breath.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, but this is the free-market capitalist system at work. We all love it, don't we?