Sunday, May 31, 2015

"Oh, ... this house is falling apart"

So, my house is falling apart.

It's probably been decades in the making, but my cute little duplex in Greenwood Village sits at a low point on really crappy clay soil, and with the recent rain, the basement floor has begun the pitch and buckle. What fun. Three years ago the floor dropped from under the furnace, and we had it lifted by A1 Concrete Leveling. Now, the floor has started rising in several places, pushing up on the finished walls that were not properly floated by a previous owner. So, we have bowed door frames, cracked drywall, and general weirdness. The garage floor has dropped five inches and now slopes toward the foundation, which has an eight-foot crack. The french drain system, foundation repair, compression grouting, and general repairs will probably go north of $30,000.

And, that's the joy of home ownership. At this point, all we can do is laugh, and explore all the options. Because, you know, I love my house. And, I hate my house. It's times like these that I wish someone had a foundation or non-profit or something whose sole goal was simply to help people out with crap they can't afford. But, you know, it could be worse. And, I have a nice house in a great community with a loving family and a good job. So, it could be a heck of a lot worse. In the end, we'll figure it out. "We've got heart."


What do you know? this house is falling apart

What can I say? this house is falling apart

We got no money, but we got heart
We're gonna rattle this ghost town
This house is falling apart



No comments: