Sunday, November 20, 2016

What We Talk About When We Talk About Race

Race and ethnicity are problematic "social constructs" in contemporary American society, and the recent events of post-Election2016 have not made discussing them any easier. As I've processed the state of the nation and pondered the equity work I do in my job, I've struggled to clarify and understand just how we go forward. In doing so, I looked back to a short You Tube clip from DJ and social critic Jay Smooth entitled "How to tell someone they sound racist." When I viewed it recently, I ran across a TEDx talk Jay gave as a follow-up in 2011, and it has the amusing and engaging title "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Talking about Race."


Thanks, Jay. I know you too are hurting and conflicted these days, and I appreciate the words you put out there.

No comments: