Saturday, November 27, 2010

Formosa Betrayed

Formosa Betrayed is an excellent political thriller about a country and an aspect of US foreign policy that Americans know far too little of. When I went to Taiwan to teach English in 1992, I knew almost nothing of the complicated politics surrounding this island nation of 23 million people - people who have never truly been free of control by greater political forces from the Dutch to the Japanese to the Chinese governments. Yet, amidst the turmoil, a thriving free market capitalist democratic republic has been carved out by the Taiwanese people under constant shadow of invasion by the communist government in the People's Republic of China. I really fell in love with this country and its people, and I hope someday Taiwan will be recognized by more than just 23 countries.




I highly recommend this film, and I applaud the performance of James Van der Beek. Who know "Dawson" had such range. I hope to see him in more films. Congratulations to Taiwanese-American producer Will Tiao for an excellent film and a story that deserved to be told.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog