Sunday, July 24, 2016

Chateau Ste. Michelle - Great Chardonnay for under $15

RE-PRINT from "Views on the Villge" - August 2012 

Apparently, the big news in the wine world for the early 2000s was the ABC movement - "Anything But Chardonnay." That said, I came late to the chardonnay party anyway, so I'm not too worried about my newfound interest in white wines. At some point in my adult years, I began to broaden my horizons in terms of adult beverages, and I've found myself often preferring a glass of wine to a couple beers. And it was generally red wine that I enjoyed - anything from a pinot noir to a syrrah to a cabernet. However, about a year ago, a neighbor brought me a bottle of chardonnay that has won my heart and actually turned into sort of a chardonnay fascination.

The wine on which I've had a crush for about a year now is the 2008-09 chardonnay from Chateau Ste. Michelle, one of the oldest and most well known of wineries from the Columbia Valley in Washington.  Chateau Ste. Michelle's chardonnay is an enjoyable wine in the $12-$15 dollar range. A fresh, light wine, perfect by itself or with a meal, it has some nice citrus flavors - maybe pear and apple in my opinion. I'm no expert, nor even really a novice. Yet the thing that really intrigued me was the hints of oak in the finish. That oak-y, smokey flavor was what I always enjoyed in a good cabernet, or a nice whiskey for that matter, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it in a white wine.

So, I'm on a chardonnay kick right now and not ashamed to admit it. If you're looking for a fresh new taste in white wines, and you haven't tried Chateau Ste. Michelle, consider it for your next purchase.

No comments: